This is a seemingly complicated and confusing subject for a lot of people.
You can lose weight. I want to assure you of that fact.
There are certain things that are important to keep in mind.
When I was little, my father always used to tell me that ‘ you go where your head goes’.
He actually meant it literally when we were wrestling around.
But it is a beautiful metaphor for a truth. Your mind is a powerful guide to where you ared headed in life.
You are what you think. So losing weight has to start in the mind.
In his book, Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle Tom Venuto talks about setting goals first.
He doesn’t talk about setting them last. You start at goal setting and that is why he put it at the beginning of his book. He specifically says, “all the knowledge in the world is useless if you don’t know how to apply it”.
Tom goes on to spend quite a bit of time on how to get your mind set right on your goals.
Here are a few additional things that I have found useful for weight loss that people seem to miss.
– Drink lots of water. This is a big one. Water is essential to almost every body function. Your metabolism is slowed by a lack of water
– Eat lots of Essential Fat. This sounds counterintuitive, but it works.
– Pay attention to WHEN you exercise. To burn off fat, you have to deplete the bodies short term energy supply. If you don’t, you will never burn fat .
– You MUST do something to strengthen your muscles while losing weight. If you lose muscle mass you are hurting yourself in two ways.
1. You will be a flabby skinny person. Skinny without tone looks terrible.
2. You will slow your ability to burn calories. Resting muscle burns more calories than resting fat.
– Your body needs adequate protein. There are plenty of formulas on what adequate protein is.
Opinions vary, even among the experts in human nutrition. Here is one take: .8g per kg of your weight or .36g per pound of body weight.
You need a complete protein and enough of it, every 8 hours. If you don’t get it your body will burn your muscle tissue and for the reasons we already talked about you don’t want that to happen.
That ought to be helpful. See your doctor before starting any diet or exercise program. (ToBeInformed – Copyright 2006 and beyond)