My Gums Bleed – Do I Need a Dentist?

The short answer is: Yes! If your gums are bleeding from regular brushing and flossing, you most likely do need to see a dentist. The dentist can rule out other possibilities from the most likely one: Do you have gingival disease?

Gingivitis is a mild inflammation of the gums. As this disease progresses the names change into various forms, but the blanket term is typically ‘gum disease’.

If you discover that this is the problem that you have, do not feel that you are the only one. Many people have this disease. In fact, so many have this problem in one form or another that it truly is an ‘epidemic’. If it were immediately life threatening it would be a true epidemic.

As research continues, it does appear that many researches are hypothesizing a potential link between gum disease and more ‘serious’ disease such as heart disease, and stroke. There are also many other suspected links to a variety of other health problems / concerns as well.

Therefore, it is advisable to do something about bleeding gums. To be clear, even a little bit of bleeding is NOT normal. Many people think that a little bleeding upon brushing or flossing is ok. In fact, it is most often indicative of a disease condition.

Now, you may be wondering what you can do about this problem. There is an easy to read book in layman language that can help. The name of the book is: What You Should Know about Gum Disease.

When it comes to fighting this disease, there are additional tools you can use, in addition to your normal brushing and flossing. You are brushing AND flossing daily, right? Next:

Well, in addition to those important activities, you may consider using an oral irrigator . You may also wish to learn about balancing the pH in your mouth as that can help to protect your dental health.

Read More at:

Disclaimer: This article is for information and entertainment purposes only. It does not intend to render advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have or think you might have gum disease or any other health problem, visit your periodontist or physician for advice, diagnosis and treatment. The USFDA has not evaluated statements about products in this article.

About the author